Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot.
- Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add beef shank cross cuts, water, salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaf; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove cross cuts from Dutch oven.
- Cut beef from bones; cut beef into ¾-inch pieces.
- Skim and discard fat from soup.
- Return beef to Dutch oven; stir in barley.
- Cover and simmer 50 to 60 minutes or until beef and barley are tender.
- Add green beans; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 2 to 3 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Discard bay leaf.