Ground beef, cheese, and real vegetables mix and cook when served with other dishes. You can make this with real beef and herbs to help maintain its aromatic quality.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup chopped or minced onion
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 cup grated cheese (Monterey Jack, Colby, Cheddar, Swiss, American, or Emmental), divided
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped broccoli
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon crushed thyme leaves
- Saute beef and onion in large skillet until beef is no longer pink.
- Mix up with tomato sauce, beef broth, ½ cup cheese, broccoli, rice, worcestershire sauce, and thyme.
- Turn into a buttered shallow 2-quart casserole.
- Bake at 350° F for 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese and bake 5 minutes longer. Serve hot and plain.