- 4 – 6 servings
- 1.5 kg (3 lbs) fresh white toscanelli (tuscan) beans (or use cannellini beans (small round white beans)
- 500 g (1 lb) tomatoes
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 – 5 sage leaves
- freshly ground pepper
- Blanch the tomatoes for 30 seconds in water then drain, peel and seed.
- Shell the beans and boil in slightly salted water for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the sage leaves, peeled garlic and a pinch of pepper and sauté for 2–3 minutes until the garlic is golden brown.
- Drain the beans and add to the pan; leave for 5 minutes for the flavours to develop, then add the diced tomatoes.
- Season with salt, mix, then cook, covered, for about 20 minutes or until the sauce is thick.