- 3 cups nonfat, low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 15-ounce can white kidney beans (cannellini), rinsed and drained
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Pour broth into a medium saucepan then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low then cover.
- In a large saucepan, add the oil then saute the mushrooms and onion over medium heat until onion starts to become translucent.
- Stir in the uncooked rice and cook for 5 minutes or until rice turns golden brown.
- Pour one cup of the broth into the rice mixture then continue to cook stirring often until liquid is absorbed.
- Add 1/2 cup of the broth, the zucchini and carrots then continue stirring until absorbed.
- Continue to add 1/2 cup of broth, stirring until absorbed until the broth is used up.
- Stir in the beans and heat through.
- Serve the risotto and pass the cheese at the table.
- Bean and Vegetable Risotto from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—public domain government resource