This satisfying dish is virtually fat free — it uses just 1 tablespoon of oil for 16 servings.
Keep the Beat: Heart Healthy Recipes by the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 16
- 2 cans (16 oz each) great northern beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 cup celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups tomatoes, fresh, peeled, cut up (or 1½ lb canned, whole, cut up)
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 4 cups elbow macaroni, cooked
- Drain beans and reserve liquid. Rinse beans.
- Heat oil in 6-quart kettle. Add mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sage, thyme, oregano, pepper, and bay leaf. Cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Cook macaroni according to directions on package, using unsalted water. Drain when cooked. Do not overcook.
- Combine reserved bean liquid with water to make 4 cups.
- Add liquid, beans, and cooked macaroni to vegetable mixture.
- Bring to boil. Cover and simmer until soup is thoroughly heated. Stir occasionally.