Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This satisfying dish is virtually fat free — it uses just 1 tablespoon of oil for 16 servings.
Keep the Beat: Heart Healthy Recipes by the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 16
- 2 cans (16 oz each) great northern beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 cup celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups tomatoes, fresh, peeled, cut up (or 1½ lb canned, whole, cut up)
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 4 cups elbow macaroni, cooked
- Drain beans and reserve liquid. Rinse beans.
- Heat oil in 6-quart kettle. Add mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sage, thyme, oregano, pepper, and bay leaf. Cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Cook macaroni according to directions on package, using unsalted water. Drain when cooked. Do not overcook.
- Combine reserved bean liquid with water to make 4 cups.
- Add liquid, beans, and cooked macaroni to vegetable mixture.
- Bring to boil. Cover and simmer until soup is thoroughly heated. Stir occasionally.