A River of Recipes: Native American Recipes Using Commodity Foods by the USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 6
- ¼ cup green pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1½ tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⅔ cups water
- 2 cups canned beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 mild chili pepper, diced
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons egg mix + ¼ cup water (or 1 egg)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook green pepper and onion in oil until tender.
- Stir in rest of ingredients up through chili pepper and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Pour into 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Make cornmeal topping and pour over the mixture.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- To lower the sodium content: use low-sodium canned beans and corn; make half of the cornmeal topping and spoon onto pie (similar to chicken and dumplings).