Makes 4 soup mixes of 6 servings.
- 2 cups instant minced onions, divided
- 6 cups dried small red beans, divided
- 2⅔ cups dried lentils, divided
- 1⅓ cups dried white navy beans, divided
- 1⅓ cups dried yellow split peas, divided
- 4 cups uncooked brown rice, divided
- ¼ cup dried crushed basil leaves, divided
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger, divided
- 4 bay leaves
Soup mix Edit
- Toast minced onion in non-stick skillet, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until light brown.
- Remove onion from skillet; cool.
- In each of 4 one-quart jars, layer the following: ½ cup red beans, ⅓ cup lentils, ⅓ cup split peas, ½ cup red beans, ⅓ cup lentils, ⅓ cup navy beans, and ½ cup red beans.
- In each of 4 zip-top plastic bags, place the following: ½ cup toasted onion, 1 tablespoon basil, 1 teaspoon black pepper, ½ teaspoon cumin powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon ground ginger, and 1 bay leaf.
- Place 1 spice-filled plastic bag in each jar, on top of red beans.
- Place 1 cup rice in each of 4 zip-top plastic bags and place in jars, on top of spices. Cover with jar lids.
- Remove rice and spices from jar.
- Wash beans and combine with 9 cups water in Dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil; cook 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let stand 30 minutes. Drain.
- Return beans to saucepan and add rice, 12 cups chicken broth, and spices. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour or until beans and rice are tender.
- Garnish each serving with sliced green onions, if desired.