This is based on Georgian (as in post-Soviet) cuisine, but it’s my own recipe, which means that it’s very flexible with ingredients and quantities. It goes great with grilled vegetables, especially eggplant. Garnish with a few pomegranate seeds. I’ve also used it as a base sauce for frying up chicken and serving with saffron rice.
- ½ pound walnuts
- 2 cloves fresh garlic (or to taste)
- ½ of a medium yellow onion
- virgin olive oil
- warm water (not boiling)
- ground coriander
- saffron and fresh parsley to taste
- In a CuisinArt or using a hand blender (or mortar and pestle if you want the workout) combine walnuts, garlic, yellow onion, olive oil, and water.
- Add salt, pepper, coriander, saffron, and parsley to taste.
- Grind it up until the consistency is sauce-like and the taste is delicious.