This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Byrd Estate in Cedar Hill, Texas in 1993.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 large bay leaves
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup light honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Scald milk and cream in saucepan with the bay leaves.
- When the mixture has cooled about 10 minutes remove bay leaves and slowly whisk in egg yolks honey and salt.
- Stir in rum.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pour custard into 6 lightly buttered custard cups then place in shall pan of very hot water and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove dishes from hot water and cool to room temperature.
- Chill custard 3 to 4 hours or overnight.