Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Baxter Estate in Heath, Texas in 1984.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2 cups fine bulgur
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper paste
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ bunch green onions finely chopped
- 1 small onion cut in thin half rounds
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- 1 cucumber finely chopped
- 2 banana peppers finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate syrup
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mint flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- romaine lettuce leaves
- Put tomato and pepper paste in a big bowl and melt them with boiling hot water.
- Add bulgur and 1 teaspoon salt into this mix and stir once.
- Cover with a thick kitchen towel and let it soak up the water for 10 minutes.
- Cut onion in half first then into very thin half moon shapes.
- In a little bowl knead onion with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Rinse salt and squeeze excessive water.
- Fluff bulgur with a fork.
- Add pepper flakes, ground pepper, cumin, mint flakes, oil, pomegranate syrup, lemon juice and kneaded onion.
- Mix well.
- At this point taste to see if it needs more lemon juice.
- Add banana peppers, spring onions, cucumber and parsley then mix well.
- Serve over lettuce leaves and place slices of tomato over top and serve immediately.