Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: The Fannie Farmer Cookbook by Marion Cunningham
- Serves 6
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 cup ice water
- 2½ lbs raw shrimp
- oil for frying
- Preheat the oven to 225°F and warm an ovenproof platter.
- Beat the flour, salt, sugar, egg, 2 t oil, and 1 c ice water in a bowl and refrigerate.
- Shell and devein the shrimp.
- Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels.
- Heat 3 inches of oil to 365°F in a heavy pot or skillet.
- Dip each shrimp into the batter and drop into the hot oil. Don't crowd the pot.
- Do a few at a time, frying for about 1 minute or until golden.
- Proceed until all the shrimp are fired, draining each batch and keeping warm on the platter in the oven.
- Serve with chili sauce or tartar sauce.