- Rinse rice under cold running water.
- Place rice in large bowl.
- Add enough water to cover by 3 inches.
- Let stand 20 minutes. Drain.
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions
- Sauté, until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add cumin, peppercorns, cloves, cardamom, bay leaves and cinnamon
- Sauté, until onions are brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add rice to spices and stir 2 minutes.
- Add 4 cups water, cream, salt and saffron.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover saucepan almost completely and cook until almost all liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Add Peas to rice.
- Cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with nuts and Raisins.
This side dish has whole peppercorns, cardamom and cloves. They are not meant
to be eaten, so discard them when serving the rice.
Contributed by Edit