About the size of a whole nutmeg, black cardamom has the most wonderful spicy scent. It will be your new favorite spice too, especially after you taste it in this rice dish.
- 1. Split open the cardamom pods and remove the sticky seeds, discarding the pods. Separate the seeds with a sharp knife and crush them in a mortar and pestle.
- 2. In a saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add cardamom seeds and bay leaf and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 3. Add Onion and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 4. Add rice and cook, stirring, until it looks milky and opaque, about 3 minutes longer.
- 5. Add water, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer; reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- 6. Remove the pan from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork.
Nutritional Info Edit
- Number of Servings: 4
- Per Serving Amount
- portion 1cup
- calories 176
- protein 3g
- fat 4g
- carbohydrate 33g
- sodium 4mg
- cholesterol 8mg