- Wash the rice in cool water, squeezing gently with your fingers, until the water runs clear.
- Put the rice in about 2 cups of cool water to soak for 20 minutes.
- Strain soak water into saucepan and heat.
- Leave rice to dry in strainer.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- While rice is drying, chop Onion finely and set aside.
- Dice carrots and set aside.
- Measure spices.
- When rice is dry, heat oil over medium-high flame in heavy, oven-proof skillet or casserole dish.
- Add spices.
- When spices become fragrant, add butter and onions.
- Cook until onions are tender and light golden brown.
- Add carrots and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add rice and cook, stirring very gently for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and heated soak water, bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until water on top of rice has boiled off.
- Cover tightly and cook for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove from oven, let rest for 10 minutes, then serve.
Contributed by Edit