- 3 eggs, at room temperature,separated
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon melted margarine
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Using a deep, dry bowl beat egg whites until stiff.
- Add the Sugar gradually and continue beating until thick.
- Add the yolks and beat lightly.
- Sift the dry ingredients gently over and mix in lightly.
- Fold in the margarine and water.
- Pour into two prepared tins and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Fill and sandwich with jam and cream.
- Sift icing sugar on top of cake.
- HINT: To prepare baking pan, brush lightly with oil.
- Cut out brown paper to fit base.
- Place at the bottom of the pan and then brush paper with oil.