Preheat oven to 400 °F Grease an 9x9" baking pan.
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- Mix the cornmeal and milk in a small bowl so the cornmeal can soak while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and the Sugar.
- Mix the egg and oil together well and stir into the cornmeal.
- Add the cornmeal to the flour and stir to moisten.
- Don't overmix! Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Bake only until golden brown.