Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe is for 4 servings
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ lemon (juice only)
- ½ lbs unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup blanched almonds
- ½ cup yoghurt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup semolina
- 1 tsp baking powder
- few drops vanilla extract
- whipped cream
- Make a thick syrup by boiling the sugar, water and lemon juice together and simmering until it thickens.
- Allow to cool and chill.
- Melt half of the unsalted butter.
- Toast the blanched almonds and chop them finely.
- Beat the yogurt with the sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add melted butter and all remaining ingredients except the cream, and beat well until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour into a large rectangular buttered baking tray and bake in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Pour the cold syrup immediately over the hot basbousa as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Cut into lozenge shapes and return to the oven for 3 more minutes.
- Serve soused with other half of butter, melted, and spread with whipped cream.