This recipe is for 4 servings
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ lemon (juice only)
- ½ lbs unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup blanched almonds
- ½ cup yoghurt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup semolina
- 1 tsp baking powder
- few drops vanilla extract
- whipped cream
- Make a thick syrup by boiling the sugar, water and lemon juice together and simmering until it thickens.
- Allow to cool and chill.
- Melt half of the unsalted butter.
- Toast the blanched almonds and chop them finely.
- Beat the yogurt with the sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add melted butter and all remaining ingredients except the cream, and beat well until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour into a large rectangular buttered baking tray and bake in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Pour the cold syrup immediately over the hot basbousa as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Cut into lozenge shapes and return to the oven for 3 more minutes.
- Serve soused with other half of butter, melted, and spread with whipped cream.