- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 2 small eggs
- 2 cups fine yellow semolina
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- blanched split almonds
- syrup (recipe follows)
- Cream the butter and the sugar and then beat in the eggs.
- Stir in a ½ cup water.
- Sift together the semolina, baking powder, and soda, and stir into the butter mixture to form a smooth batter.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease an 8-by-12-inch cake pan and pour in the batter.
- Spread it evenly with the back of a spoon and then score across the top of the cake parallel lines going from the bottom left corner to the top right and vice versa, to form diamond shapes.
- Place an almond in the center of each diamond.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35–40 minutes, when the cake should be firm and lightly browned.
- Prepare the syrup as described below and pour it, spoonfuls at a time, over the hot cake.
- Stop when the cake will not absorb any more and set the cake aside to cool before serving.