- 200 ml (7 fl oz) melted butter
- 650 g (1 lb 7oz) fine semolina
- 300 ml (½ pint) natural yoghurt
- 250 g (9 oz) Sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3 level teaspoons baking powder
- 2 dozen whole blanched almonds
- 250 g (9 oz) sugar
- 500 ml (18 fl oz) water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons rose water
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- First make the syrup by placing the water and sugar in a medium sized saucepan.
- Add cardamom, rosewater, lemon juice and boil on medium heat for 5 minutes, until sugar dissolves.
- Set aside to cool.
- Place sugar in a large bowl, add butter and beat well.
- Next add the eggs and beat with the sugar and butter.
- Mix well.
- Stir in semolina, baking powder, yoghurt and mix very well,.
- Place in a medium rectangle dish about 33x27x5cm (13x10x2inches) and decorate with almonds.
- Bake in oven at 180°C (350°F) gas mark 4 for 30 minutes.
- Remove the basboosa from the oven.
- Cut into diamond or square shapes, then pour the cold syrup over the basboosa.