Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: The Illustrated Encyclopedia of American Cooking by the Editors of Favorite Recipes Press
- 4½ cups dried baby lima beans
- ¼ lb salt pork or bacon, diced
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1¼ tsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 4 tsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup vinegar
- Place beans in large heavy kettle; add 2 quarts water.
- Bring to a boil; cook for 2 minutes.
- Cover; let stand overnight.
- Bring to a boil again; reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, for 40 minutes.
- Drain beans, reserving 2 cups liquid.
- Render salt pork in skillet.
- Sauté onions and garlic in pork fat; stir mixture into beans.
- Add mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, chili powder, brown sugar and vinegar; stir in reserved liquid.
- Turn into greased baking dish.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes.