Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Baked cheese pastry
- 10 – 12 sheets filo pastry
- 500 g white cheese
- ½ pack butter (melted)
- 3 – 4 eggs
- 250 ml soda water
- pinch of salt
- Oil a medium size deep oven dish, cover bottom with a sheet of filo pastry, sprinkle melted butter, sprinkle crumbled white cheese, and continue layering filo pastry with butter and cheese.
- Finish with a layer of filo pastry and butter.
- In a separate dish beat the eggs, add salt, and soda water.
- Pour slowly over the dish with the banitza and let it soak in.
- Cook in a preheated oven (180 – 200°C) for about 40 minutes or until the banitza has risen slightly and has nicely browned on top.
- Leave to cool for about 30 minutes and serve.
- I like it with Greek yoghurt on the side.