Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Adapted from the Joslin Diabetes Gourmet Cookbook, 1993
- Tested with changes noted by Elizabeth Rodier, Jan 1993
- 2 bananas, ripe, mashed
- ½ cup canola oil (such as crisco)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp frozen orange/pineapple juice concentrate
- 1¾ cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp orange peel
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with waxed paper and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine bananas, oil, beaten egg, juice concentrate and orange peel.
- Stir dry ingredients together and then stir them into banana mixture until just blended.
- Spread the batter in the pan and bake for 45 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
- Cool in a pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
- Slice the first sample while the loaf is still warm.
- Comment in the original recipe states that the well-wrapped loaf keeps in the refrigerator and freezes well.
- Slice is smaller than a slice of regular bread (about half size).
- To cut down on cholesterol use 1 whole egg and 2 whites, or home made egg substitute.
- When comparing bread recipes, consider serving size as well as calories.
Nutritional information Edit
- 1 tbsp peanut butter would add 1 fat exchange + 1 meat or 95 calories, 3 grams carb. 4 grams protein, 8.2 grams fat, 98 mg sodium
- 1 tbsp regular strawberry jam made of equal parts fruit and sugar would add 54 calories, 14 grams carbohydrate or 1 fruit exchange
Original nutritional information 1/18 recipe = 1 bread, which used 1 large egg white plus 6 tbsp egg substitute, ⅛ tsp almond extract, orange juice concentrate, 2 cups unbleached flour and no orange peel.
- Joslin exchanges: 1 fat
- 122 calories | 2g protein | 14g carbohydrate | 6g fat (44% of calories) | trace cholesterol | 61mg sodium | 105mg potassium