This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Lowery Estate in Arlington, Texas in 1984.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs well beaten
- ¾ cup mashed bananas
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup flour for rolling
- deep oil for frying
- Sift flour then measure and resift 3 times with baking powder, soda, salt and nutmeg.
- Cream shortening then blend in sugar.
- Add vanilla and eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add combined bananas and buttermilk and stir until well mixed.
- Add flour mixture in 4 portions stirring thoroughly after each addition.
- Chill before rolling.
- Remove ¼ of dough from refrigerator at a time then knead lightly 4 or 5 times and roll to ⅜ inch thickness and cut with floured 2½ inch doughnut cutter.
- Fry in deep oil heated to 375°F until golden brown then lift out and drain on absorbent paper.