Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Lowery Estate in Arlington, Texas in 1984.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs well beaten
- ¾ cup mashed bananas
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup flour for rolling
- deep oil for frying
- Sift flour then measure and resift 3 times with baking powder, soda, salt and nutmeg.
- Cream shortening then blend in sugar.
- Add vanilla and eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add combined bananas and buttermilk and stir until well mixed.
- Add flour mixture in 4 portions stirring thoroughly after each addition.
- Chill before rolling.
- Remove ¼ of dough from refrigerator at a time then knead lightly 4 or 5 times and roll to ⅜ inch thickness and cut with floured 2½ inch doughnut cutter.
- Fry in deep oil heated to 375°F until golden brown then lift out and drain on absorbent paper.