Bran Flakes: Fortified Ready to Eat Cereal by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 12
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup crushed bran flakes
- 1 cup lowfat milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and mashed
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Oil an 8” x 8” pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and bran flakes.
- In a separate small bowl combine the milk, eggs, carrot, banana and walnuts.
- Add milk mixture to cereal mixture, mixing well.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25–35 minutes until lightly browned.
- Cut 3 x 4 to make twelve bars.