Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Pryor Estate in Grapevine, Texas in 1996.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped black walnuts
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar packed
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 16 ounce box confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups finely chopped black walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour 2 cake pans.
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and baking soda then set aside.
- Using an electric mixer cream together shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs 1 at a time mixing well after each addition.
- Mix in mashed bananas, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Stir in black walnuts then pour into prepared pans and bake 35 minutes.
- Cool in pans on a cooling rack for 10 minutes then remove from pans and cool.
- Melt butter in small saucepan then add brown sugar and cream.
- Cook over medium low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla then transfer to a large bowl.
- Using an electric mixer beat in confectioners' sugar a little at a time until smooth.
- Sandwich 2 layers of cake with frosting then frost the outside.
- Press chopped black walnuts over top and down sides of cake.