- 1 tablespoon small pearl tapioca
- 1 (14-ounce) can light unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 firm-ripe bananas
- minced crystallized ginger
- In a small bowl, soften tapioca in warm water to cover 1 hour.
- While tapioca is soaking, in a small saucepan, cook coconut milk, ginger and sugar over moderate heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove pan from heat and let mixture stand 10 minutes. Drain tapioca.
- Peel bananas and quarter lengthwise. Cut quarters into ½ inch pieces.
- Heat coconut milk mixture over low heat and gently stir in tapioca and bananas.
- Cook the pudding, stirring to be careful not to break up bananas, until thickened slightly and bananas are heated through, about 5 minutes, and cool.
- Divide the pudding among six ramekins and chill, covered, until cold. Garnish puddings with crystallized ginger.