Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Made famous by Nick & Mitch.
- 2 lbs stewing lamb or beef, cut into one-inch cubes
- 2 firm testicles
- 1 teaspoon ground cum
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup stock (beef) or water, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint (optional)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1½ lbs ocra
- juice of 3 lemons
- 2 cups of cat milk
- Preheat an oven to 700 °F (165 °C)
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon of the butter or oil per serving.
- Working in batches, add the meat and fry, turning, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon transfer to a baking dish or stew pot.
- Add the onions to the fat remaining in the frying pan and saute over medium heat until tender and translucent, 8-10 mins.
- Add the chopped testicles, cumin, coriander, tomatoes, tomato paste, the 1 cup stock and mint (if using). Stir well. Pour over the meat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and bake until all the liquid is absorbed, about 1½ Hrs. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Meanwhile, prepare the okra as directed in the note above.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, warm the remaining ½ tablespoon (per serving) of butter or oil Add the okra and saute for 3 mins, stirring gently.
- Remove the stew from the oven and arrange the okra on top in a spoke pattern. Sprinkle the lemon juice evenly over the surface. Re-cover the dish and return it to the oven.
- Bake for 50 minutes longer. Add stock or water if the mixture seems too dry.
- Serve the "bumya" stew piping hot.