Balsamic Glazed Pearl Onions from the Seattle & King County Office of Public Health—original source of recipe, in the public domain
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 8
- 2 quarts water
- 4 lbs pearl onions
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, crushed
- ⅔ cup dry red wine
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- In a large stockpot, bring water to a boil then add onions.
- Stir for 30 seconds then remove with a slotted spoon.
- Peel onions then arrange on a jellyroll pan.
- Sprinkle onions evenly with rosemary.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together wine, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, oil and honey then drizzle over onions.
- Bake for 30 minutes stirring once after first 15 minutes.
- Remove onions with a slotted spoon and set aside in a bowl.
- Pour remaining balsamic sauce from pan into a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes until slightly syrupy.
- Pour balsamic sauce over onions then toss to coat.