Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The universal Middle-Eastern dessert
- 1½ lbs chopped walnuts
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 lb melted sweet butter
- 2 lbs thin sheet fillo, or shredded fillo dough
- 1 cup honey
- To make the stuffing, combine and mix walnuts, sugar and cardamom.
- Set aside.
- Brush a baking dish measuring about 9x13x2 inch with some of the melted butter.
- Spread one fillo sheet flat in the pan, brush with about 1 teaspoon butter.
- Stack about 15 fillo sheets using this method.
- Spread one half of the stuffing mixture on the fillo sheets.
- Spread and butter about five fillo sheets on top of the first layer of stuffing.
- Spread the remaining half of the stuffing on top.
- Spread and butter about 15 fillo sheets to make the top and final layer.
- Use more butter if you run out, or use less for each fillo layer.
- With a sharp knife, cut in diamond, or square shapes.
- Pour remaining melted butter on top.
- Bake in 350°F oven for about 30 minutes, or until the surface turns light golden color.
- Pour honey over baklawa.
- When at room temperature, transfer individual pieces onto a serving dish.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.