Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Fillo pastry with nuts
- ½ kilo fillo pastry about 20 sheets
- ½ cup of butter
- 2 cups of finely chopped almonds
- 1 cup of finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp of pounded mixed cloves and cinnamon bark
- In a bowl mix both kinds of nuts, sugar and pounded spices.
- Choose one oven dish of 12x8 inches and grease sides and bottom.
- Brush with butter 6 sheets of fillo pastry and place in oven dish.
- Spread over half of the nuts mixture.
- Brush with butter another six sheets and place to cover the nuts.
- Spread over fillo the rest of nuts, brush the remaining fillo and cover the second bed of nuts.
- Fold the edges of fillo round the sides of dish and brush the top with the rest of butter.
- Cut fillo into square or diamond shapes and sprinkle some cold water on top.
- Place baklava in a moderate oven and bake for one hour until golden.
- Meanwhile pour in saucepan sugar and water and stir to dissolve.
- Add remaining syrup ingredients and heat to boil for about 15 minutes until the syrup thickens.
- Remove from heat, leave it to cool and remove lemon rind.
- Remove baklava from oven and while still hot pour over the cold syrup.
- Cover dish with a serviette, leave baklava to cool and cut into pieces.
- Makes about 20 pieces.