Fillo pastry with nuts
- ½ kilo fillo pastry about 20 sheets
- ½ cup of butter
- 2 cups of finely chopped almonds
- 1 cup of finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp of pounded mixed cloves and cinnamon bark
- In a bowl mix both kinds of nuts, sugar and pounded spices.
- Choose one oven dish of 12x8 inches and grease sides and bottom.
- Brush with butter 6 sheets of fillo pastry and place in oven dish.
- Spread over half of the nuts mixture.
- Brush with butter another six sheets and place to cover the nuts.
- Spread over fillo the rest of nuts, brush the remaining fillo and cover the second bed of nuts.
- Fold the edges of fillo round the sides of dish and brush the top with the rest of butter.
- Cut fillo into square or diamond shapes and sprinkle some cold water on top.
- Place baklava in a moderate oven and bake for one hour until golden.
- Meanwhile pour in saucepan sugar and water and stir to dissolve.
- Add remaining syrup ingredients and heat to boil for about 15 minutes until the syrup thickens.
- Remove from heat, leave it to cool and remove lemon rind.
- Remove baklava from oven and while still hot pour over the cold syrup.
- Cover dish with a serviette, leave baklava to cool and cut into pieces.
- Makes about 20 pieces.