Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 1 lb. strudel or fillo pastry sheets
- 1/2 lb. sweet butter, melted
- 1/2 lb. walnuts, coarsely ground
- 1/4 lb. blanched almonds coarsely ground
- 1/4 lb. sesame seeds (unsalted)
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. icing sugar
- 3 cups Sugar
- 4 cups water
- Juice of 1/4 lemon
- 1 piece orange peel
- 1 piece lemon peel
- 1/2 cup liquid Honey
- Toast the almonds and sesame seeds for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Combine with the walnuts, cinnamon and Sugar. Melt the butter over low heat and lightly grease a large baking pan which is at least 1/2 inch deep.
- On your work area, take the pastry sheets one by one and, using a pastry brush, spread each with melted butter, one on top of the other making seven layers. Again brush the top sheep. Sprinkle the nut mixture from the long side of the rectangle to the center, leaving the other half clear. Roll the pastry from the nut-sprinkled side, jelly-roll fashion, to make a complete roll with the nuts in the center and sheets of pastry around them. Repeat these same steps over and over again until all the sheets and nut mixture have been used. Brush each roll with butter. Preheat the oven to 350 F. and bake for about 45 minutes or until lightly browned.
- FOR SYRUP: Bring the Sugar, water and peel to a boil and allow to simmer for 45 minutes or until the syrup is Honey coloured. Remove from the heat and add lemon juice and Honey. When the baklava is baked, remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Cut in 2 inch diagonal pieces and return to oven to heat thoroughly. Remove from the oven again and cover with warm (not hot) syrup, using all the syrup.
- Before adding syrup, cut in 1 inch slices and arrange in baking pan, cut side down, resembling a pinwheel. Pour syrup over as directed above.