- Toast the almonds and sesame seeds for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Combine with the walnuts, cinnamon and sugar.
- Melt the butter over low heat and lightly grease a large baking pan which is at least ½ inch deep.
- On your work area, take the pastry sheets one by one and, using a pastry brush, spread each with melted butter, one on top of the other making seven layers.
- Again brush the top sheep.
- Sprinkle the nut mixture from the long side of the rectangle to the center, leaving the other half clear.
- Roll the pastry from the nut-sprinkled side, jelly-roll fashion, to make a complete roll with the nuts in the center and sheets of pastry around them.
- Repeat these same steps over and over again until all the sheets and nut mixture have been used.
- Brush each roll with butter.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake for about 45 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Bring the sugar, water and peel to a boil and allow to simmer for 45 minutes or until the syrup is honey coloured.
- Remove from the heat and add lemon juice and honey.
- When the baklava is baked, remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Cut in 2 inch diagonal pieces and return to oven to heat thoroughly.
- Remove from the oven again and cover with warm (not hot) syrup, using all the syrup.