Fruit & Vegetable Recipes I by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource -- original source of recipe
- Serves: 6
- ½ cup butter, separated
- 12 large shiitake mushrooms
- ½ cup shallots, diced fine
- 1 lb crab meat, white lump or 1 lb small shrimp
- ½ cup sherry
- 2 cups thick cream sauce
- 3 hard cooked eggs, chopped fine
- 3 Tbsp chives, chopped very fine
- 2 tsp dry mustard or 2 Tbsp mustard sauce
- dash salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 6 cups cooked wild rice
- Saute shiitake mushroom caps in 6 T. butter until half cooked. Set aside to cool.
- Saute shallots in remaining 2 T. butter until transparent. Add crab meat or shrimp and heat thoroughly.
- Pour sherry in pan and ignite. When flame dies, add cream sauce, eggs, chives and mustard. Mix thoroughly and add salt, cayenne and white pepper. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Fill each mushroom cap with seafood mixture. Bake for 5 minutes in buttered baking pan in a very hot oven (450 degrees F). Serve mushrooms on a bed of well-seasoned, cooked wild rice.