A River of Recipes: Native American Recipes Using Commodity Foods by the USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Serves: 4
- ½ cup green bell pepper, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- ½ pound sausage
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup instant nonfat dry milk + 1 cup water (or 1 cup nonfat milk)
- ¾ cup egg mix + 1½ cups water (or 6 eggs)
- ½ cup grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- In non-stick pan, brown bell pepper and green onions using cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook sausage in skillet until crumbly. Pour out excess grease. Mix with bell peppers and onions.
- Prepare egg mix using 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of water; mix thoroughly.
- Add egg mixture to sausage mixture and mix well.
- Pour in 8 x 8 inch glass baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Top with grated cheese.
- Bake at 375 °F, turning once or twice until cooked thoroughly.
- To lower the sodium content: Omit the sausage or use low-sodium meat, such as lean cooked ground beef or ground bison.
- To lower the fat content: Omit cheese and/or sausage or use a lowfat sausage.
- Add salsa, bacon bits, diced mushrooms, white onions in place of green onions, cut up diced pork, etc. (Eliminate sausage for vegetarian option)