Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Savory Italian sausage and sautéed mushrooms impart a spicy heat to this cheesy rigatoni. Toss a simple green salad while the pasta bakes, and serve with a nice dry red wine. It's a foolproof meal, perfect for a delightful Sunday dinner with great weeknight or lunchtime leftovers.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup yellow onion, small diced
- 1½ pounds white mushrooms, quartered
- ½ cup red wine
- pinch crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 pounds Italian sausage, cut into small, bite-sized pieces
- 1 pound frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound rigatoni pasta
- 2 jars (26 ounces each) prepared marinara sauce
- ½ pound mozzarella, shredded
- Heat one tablespoon of the olive oil in a sauté pan.
- Add the garlic, onions and mushrooms and sauté until the mushrooms have released most of their liquid and the onions are translucent.
- Add the red wine and crushed red pepper and continue to cook until the red wine has evaporated.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the same pan and add the sausage.
- Cook until the sausage is fully cooked and browned.
- Remove from the pan and add to the mushroom mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, ricotta cheese, egg, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, salt and black pepper and mix well.
- Add the mushrooms and sausage to this mixture.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in rapidly boiling water until al dente and drain.
- Add the cooked pasta and marinara sauce to the ricotta mixture and mix well until fully combined.
- Transfer to a roasting pan and top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a 350°F oven for approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue to bake until browned on top and fully heated through.
Nutritional Information Edit
Per Serving (8 oz-wt.):
- 330 calories (220 from fat) | 25g total fat | 10g saturated fat | 17g protein | 8g total carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 3g sugar) | 55mg cholesterol | 870mg sodium