Makes 8 servings.
- 3 cups cooked medium grain rice
- 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons Sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 5 eggs, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- Spread rice in greased shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Blend 1/3 cup Sugar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 2 cups milk, 3 eggs and vanilla; pour over rice.
- Bake at 350 degrees 40 to 50 minutes, or until knife inserted near center comes out clean and top is lightly browned.
- Blend remaining 3 tablespoons Sugar, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, and remaining 2 eggs in top of double boiler; add remaining 1 cup milk.
- Cook, stirring, 10 to 12 minutes or until slightly thickened; stir in brandy.
- Spoon sauce over custard.