Prep Time: approximately 20 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Yields: ~ 9 servings
This simple recipe is a favorite during the holidays. You could consider it a casserole or a kind of bread pudding and serve it either as a side dish or as a dessert with some vanilla ice cream on top. It's best served warm, but it's delicious cold too.
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 5 slices white bread, cubed or torn into 1 inch pieces
- 1 x 20 ounce can of crushed pineapple with juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a medium-sized casserole dish. I use a 9" square pyrex pan when making this.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together. This will go much easier if you have an electric mixer and bring the butter to room temperature (65 – 67°F) before starting.
- Beat in eggs one at a time. It will help to bring these to room temperature too so they don't harden the butter when you mix them in.
- Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Fold in bread and crushed pineapple until fully incorporated and bread is no longer dry. Careful not to fold too much or the bread might get mushy.
- Transfer the mixture to your baking dish and bake for 60 minutes until bubbly and lightly browned.
- Feel free to sprinkle more cinnamon and nutmeg or even some powdered sugar on top before serving. Enjoy! keep leftovers refrigerated.