Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Baxter Estate in Heath, Texas in 1984.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 pound fresh okra
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper cut in thin strips
- 1 green bell pepper cut in thin strips
- 2 white onions chopped finely
- 3 tomatoes sliced in rounds
- ½ bunch flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Wash okra and dry well.
- Trim off the end of the stems being careful not to cut into the pod.
- Put okra in a large flat dish and sprinkle vinegar with generous amount of salt.
- Make sure both sides are coated well.
- Allow to marinate at least 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet and cook onions until golden brown.
- Rinse okra well then place them in rows in an oven dish and sprinkle with onions.
- Put tomato slices on okra and then crisscross pepper strips on tomatoes.
- Scatter the parsley over.
- Season with plenty of black pepper and pepper flakes.
- Pour the rest of the olive oil evenly and water.
- Bake at 375°F for almost an hour.
- Allow to cool in its own juice and serve barely warm.