- 12 cups (3 litres) water
- 1 1/4 teaspoons (6 ml) salt
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
- and cut crosswise into 3/4-inch slices
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 ml) grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) Barbados
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 ml) freshly ground
- black pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) pecan pieces
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) golden syrup
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) castor sugar
- (used as topping)
- 1 cup (250 ml) miniature marshmallows (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450 °F (230 °C). Bring the water, seasoned with 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of the salt, to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the potatoes. Boil for 7 to 8 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the butter, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) salt, the cinnamon, nutmeg, Barbados, pepper, pecans and syrup and mash.
- Pour into a casserole. Sprinkle the top with the Plantation Raw Sugar and the marshmallows. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the marshmallows melt and turn light brown. Serve hot.