- 2/3 cup of Sugar (for caramel sauce)
- 6 beaten eggs
- 1 cup of full-creme milk powder
- 2/3 cup of Sugar
- 1 cup of fresh unsweetened orange juice
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- In a heavy saucepan, cook the 2/3 cup of Sugar for the caramel sauce over medium-high heat until the Sugar begins to melt. Do not stir, but shake the saucepan occasionally.
- Then, reduce the heat to low and cook until the Sugar is golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Divide the Sugar among 8 custard cups (small glass pyrex bowls) or a glass 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Tilt to coat the bottoms of the dishes. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl combine the eggs, powdered milk, Sugar, orange juice, vanilla and 2 cups of water.
- Beat until well combined, but not foamy.
- Pour this mixture into the large baking dish or divide it between the small custard cups (whichever you are using). Place your dish or dishes into an even larger baking dish.
- Pour boiling water into the larger baking dish, around the custard dish/es to a depth of 1 inch.
- Carefully place your large dish in a pre-heated oven and bake at about 325 degrees for 30–45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven. It may be eaten warm, but it is best chilled.
- Remove from custard cups to serve by turning each custard upside down on a plate or serve from the larger dish drizzling the caramel sauce over each serving.