This colorful recipe has fresh secrets: apples and wine. This traditional fruit dish is made with mace and authentic fruit jam and is great for breakfast or dessert as it keeps a red-hot taste with the fruit and is enhanced with alcohol content when cooked to bold perfection.
- 8 apples, cored
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon, optional
- cherry or strawberry jam
- ½ cup sugar, brown only
- ½ tsp. mace or nutmeg
- 1 cup red wine
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- lemon zest, optional
- Place apples in a greased casserole or baking dish.
- Fill each apple with jam.
- Blend cinammon (optional), sugar, and mace (or nutmeg) and stir with the wine and vanilla.
- Pour over apples. Cover and bake at 350° F for 1 hour.
- Refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours before serving. Garnish with the lemon zest, if desired.