Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Here's an easy bread to make, especially for novice bakers. No kneading is involved for this homey bread slightly coarse textured yeast bread.
- 2½ cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast, 2¼ teaspoons
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Heat milk and shortening together over low heat until warm. The shortening does not need to melt.
- Add egg to flour mixture.
- Stir in milk mixture.
- Beat very hard for 300 strokes or use a heavy-duty mixer. The batter should leave the sides of the bowl.
- Scrape batter down from side of bowl and cover.
- Let rise in a warm place (80 °F to 85 °F) until double, about 45 minutes.
- Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Stir batter down and pour into greased loaf pan.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Place bread into oven and bake about 40 minutes. The bread will sound hollow when tapped when it is finished baking.
- Remove bread from pan and let cool on baking rack.
- Makes about 18 slices.
Things You'll Need Edit
- measuring cups and spoons
- mixing bowls
- mixer, optional
- loaf pan
- cooling rack
Sources and Citations Edit
- Breads, Cakes and Pies in Family Meals: A Guide for Consumers, USDA, 1979.