- Mince the fruit and soak in 1 cup of rum with spices, essences, nuts, jam and ¼ lb sugar.
- Mix ingredients well and put in a jar, cover and allow mixture to steep for 3 weeks or more.
- When ready to bake, cook fruit over a low heat with 1 cup of water for 15 minutes (this preliminary cooking of the fruit shortens baking time of cake and reduces the possibility of the cake burning).
- Cream the butter/margarine and remaining sugar well and add eggs beating in one at a time.
- Then add this to the fruit mixture.
- Stir in enough browning to make the mixture dark brown in color.
- Add the flour and baking powder last.
- Place mixture into baking pans -greased and lined with 2 sheets of waxed paper.
- Fill the pans ¾ full.
- Bake in a 300 °F oven for 2½ to 3 hours.
- Test with skewer before removing from oven.
- As soon as cakes are removed from oven, prick all over with skewer and pour slowly over them a mixture of rum and wine which the cakes will absorb.
- Allow to remain in baking pans for 2 to 3 days to fully absorb liquor before serving.