Homemade bacon is easy enough to make at home: all you need are thin pork belly slices and a couple of pantry staples. It's perfect with atsara and heaps of steaming rice!
- 2 cups water, lukewarm or regular only
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper, black only
- ½ tablespoon salt, iodized or rock only
- ½ cup minced garlic
- 1 kilo pork belly or (2 ½ kilos sliced, boneless pork belly)
- cooking oil
- In a small, fresh bowl, combine water, vinegar, pepper, salt, and garlic. Stir until salt is completely dissolved. Set aside.
- Arrange pork slices lengthwise in a large plastic storage container and pour the vinegar marinade over them. Just leave in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook, drain marinade and place pork strips in a colander or sieve to let the rest of the marinade drip off. Pat dry with paper towels to remove more excess liquid.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Fry the pork strips until golden brown and crunchy at the edges.
- Blot the fried pork strips with paper towels to remove excess oil. Just serve while hot.