Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 2 lb thick salt cod, desalted and cooked, cut into 2- by 3-inch pieces (reserve 4 cups of the soaking liquid)
- flour for dredging
- ½ cup pure Spanish olive oil
- 4 medium-size all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch slices
- 3 pimentos, cut into strips
- fried bread rounds, as an accompaniment
- One day in advance of serving, rinse the salt cod under cold running water.
- Cut it into 2- by 3-inch pieces, place in a bowl, and cover with cold water.
- Change the water several times until it is no longer salty.
- This process should take 24 hours.
- Drain the fish, place it in a small saucepan, cover with fresh water, and bring to boil over medium-high heat.
- Lower the heat to low and simmer 5 minutes.
- Drain and cool the fish.
- Dredge the cod in the flour.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil until fragrant, then cook the fish until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Remove the fish from the heat and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil until fragrant, then cook the bell peppers, stirring, until slightly softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the garlic and onions, and cook, stirring, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes, adding more oil if necessary.
- Add the pimientos, tomatoes, paprika, and wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, another 10 to 12 minutes.
- Place the reserved salt cod soaking water in a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat and cook the potato slices until partially tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the codfish chunks to the sofrito and cook over low heat 10 minutes.
- Arrange the cooked potato slices on top of the fish, do not stir, cover the pan, and shake it several times.
- Cook over low heat an additional 10 minutes so that the potatoes absorb the fish flavor.
- Transfer to a large serving platter and garnish with the pimientos.
- Serve with Pan Frito (fried bread rounds) and Arroz Blanco.