Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 2 1/2 lbs lean baby Pork ribs, or 2 lbs. lean Pork chunks
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp each ground cumin, salt, black pepper, dried oregano and ground bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 med red bell pepper, cut in julienne strips
- 1 med Onion, chopped
- 2 cups white rice, uncooked
- 1 tbsp dried parsley, or 2 tbsp fresh, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp salt, and black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp yellow rice/saffron-based seasoning such as bijol, or goya with saffron
- 1/2 cup white cooking wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 10 oz frozen green peas
- Remove any excess fat from Pork and discard. Cut ribs into smallest portions possible, or if using Pork chunks, cut into 2" to 3" cubes.
- In a large ziploc bag, combine Pork with lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon each of seasonings listed. Seal and turn or shake to mix.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight, turning at least once.
- Heat olive oil in large heavy pan over high heat.
- Drain any excess lemon juice and discard.
- Brown Pork, stirring and scraping up from bottom frequently. Turn heat down slightly as Pork starts to brown.
- Add chopped red pepper and Onion. Continue to saute, scraping and stirring. Don't allow the juices to burn; turn fire down as required.
- Measure out and combine white rice, 1/2 tsp cumin, 2 tsp salt, black pepper, parsley and minced garlic.
- When onions and peppers start to brown (or if pan drippings start to get too dark), add rice mixture. Stir and scrape bottom for 1 minute more.
- Add white wine and scrape to deglaze the pan.
- Add 4 cups of chicken broth (if y ou are short some of the broth, complete the liquid amount with water).
- Mix in the yellow rice/saffron seasoning.
- Stir while bringing to a full boil.
- Cover tightly, and turn to lowest simmer for 20 minutes.
- Shortly before the dish is finished, microwave the Peas according to package instructions. Do not overcook.
- When rice and Pork dish are done, mix half the Peas into the dish, and scatter the rest on top as garnish.
- You may also garnish with strips of canned or bottled pimento if desired.