- Scrub beets and steam until tender-firm and a knife enters easily, 10 to 15 minutes if very small and 25 minutes or longer if large.
- Set aside to cool, and slip off skins.
- Quarter, halve or leave whole.
- Discard stems and keep greens, discarding any that are bruised or badly torn.
- Steam over beet water until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Toss with half olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange greens on serving dish.
- Toss beets with remaining oil, lime juice and fresh herbs.
- Pile onto greens and serve.