Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This dessert, a cross between cake and sweet bread, is often baked for Easter.
- Makes two (10 inch) cakes and about 1¼ cups icing.
- 3 pk (¼ oz) active dry yeast (3 tbsp)
- ¾ cup warm water (110°F)
- 1 cup sugar
- 7¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 1¼ cups unsalted butter or margarine
- 6 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2 egg whites
- Grease side and bottom of 2 (10 inch) tube pans.
- In a shallow, medium bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add 1 tbsp sugar and ½ cup flour; stir to combine.
- Cover; let stand in a warm place 5 to 10 minutes until foamy.
- Heat milk and butter or margarine in a small saucepan until melted.
- Let stand until mixture cools to warm.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, egg yolks and remaining 1 cup sugar until pale and frothy.
- Add cooled milk mixture, salt and yeast mixture.
- Beat until smooth.
- Gradually beat in 4½ cups flour.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Knead dough into a soft, smooth dough.
- Divide dough in ½.
- Arrange 1 part dough in each greased pan.
- Cover with a damp cloth; let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly beat 2 egg whites in a small bowl until foamy.
- Brush beaten egg whites on top of dough.
- Evenly sprinkle topping over dough.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in pans 3 to 4 minutes on racks.
- Turn out of pans; cool completely on racks.
- Frost with powdered sugar icing if desired.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
- Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter or margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- powdered sugar icing: 2 egg whites 1½ cups sifted powdered sugar ½ tsp lemon juice.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until frothy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating constantly.
- Beat 10 minutes or until glossy.
- Add lemon juice; beat 2 minutes or until icing stands up in soft peaks.