In Romanian: Baba in stil romanesc
- 1 lb / 500 g flour
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 5 oz / 150 g butter or margarine
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 oz / 100 g raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ oz / 40 g yeast
- shortening to grease the dish
- Mix the yeast with ½ cup tepid milk, add some flour and knead well to make a stiff dough.
- Gather into a ball and make 3 – 4 indentations with a knife.
- Place the dough in a pot with 3 qts / 3 l tepid water.
- Cover and keep in a warm place.
- After 40 – 50 minutes when the dough rises above and doubles in volume, remove with a slotted spoon and place in a large bowl.
- Add tepid melted butter or margarine, salt, yolks beaten with sugar and vanilla and whipped egg whites.
- Knead well, adding the remaining flour and milk.
- The resulting dough should not be too stiff.
- Cover and leave in a warm place to rise.
- After it doubles again, add the raisins, mix and then place in a greased pan.
- Cover and leave in a warm place until the dough fills ¾ of the pan.
- Bake at slow heat for 30–40 minutes.
- Test with a wooden pick.
- Carefully remove from the pan so that it does not break.
- Place on a large plate and let cool without disturbing.
- In the meantime, prepare the syrup.
- Boil the water with the sugar, add the wine and rum.
- Pour this syrup (hot) over the cake, turning it so that the syrup gets everywhere.