Love this simple but delicious noodle soup on a cold wet rainy day. Great meal in one. Total comfort food.
- 5 cups water
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 red chilies, seeded and halved
- 8 slices ginger or galangal
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice or lime juice (use the big lime)
- 3 stalks lemongrass
- 2 sprigs coriander
- 1 Chinese barbecued duck, deboned and chopped
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 150 g dried ramen noodles
- bean sprouts, to garnish
- red chili, to garnish
- coriander, to garnish (cilantro)
- 3 bunches bok choy (optional)
- white pepper
- Combine stock and water into saucepan and heat till liquid is simmering.
- Add, galangal, chillies and lime juice to saucepan.
- Bruise lemon grass and coriander (to release flavour), and add to saucepan.
- Simmer liquid for 20 minutes.
- Strain liquid, and return to saucepan.
- Heat liquid with duck and shallots.
- Boil ramen noodles in separate saucepan for 3–5 minutes or till tender.
- Drain noodles.
- Add noodles and bok choy (optional the bok choy) to soup stock and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Ladle soup to serving bowls, garnishing with bean sprouts, chilli strips and coriander.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (i don't think it's needed).
- Enjoy hot.